Thursday

i rode racehorses instead of reading books

i often feel that i missed out on a great chunk of literature that most kids from educated families read in their high school years. i never regret the experiences i DID have during those years: co-training 30+ racehorses, training my own horse (increasing her value from $1500 to $6500), living in wilderness areas for two summers, singing 3-part harmony in church with my little sisters (and mom on the piano), leading a 4-H group, piglets, swing-dancing, trail rides, skiing on Mt Hood, jogging on cold mornings (while eating blackberries off the vines next to the road), cruising in my friends' trucks (singing along with the newest Blink 182 CD, i know, i know, but the drummer was so cute).

but when my friends talk about Chesterton, Waugh, For Whom The Bell Tolls, To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, Nathaniel Hawthorne, William Faulkner, Poe, Steinbeck, and Tennessee Williams, i get a little nervous and just smile and nod. i never read those in-between books-- i skipped straight from Island of The Blue Dolphins (junior high) to Aristotle (college). the years of painful, dry philosophy took away all my desire to read since. i don't think i read a single book during my two years away from school (and i certainly didn't read anything during my last 3 semesters there!)... my sense of wonder was THAT stunted.

now i'm catching up. i managed to read a book or two per week at Virus Central. thanks to book exchanges at hostels, my reading list catch-up continues. in brussels, i picked up a copy of The Mill on the Floss (The Floss is a river--didn't know that, now i do.) by George Eliot, and YUP! George is a CHICK--didn't know that, now i do! i'm 125 pages in, 410 to go, and i'm enjoying myself quite a bit. i love the naughty little girl who upsets the proper people to no end, then runs away to live with the gypsies.

here's one of Eliot's many acute statements:

Mrs. Tulliver was what is called a good-tempered person--never cried when she was a baby on any slighter ground than hunger and pins; and from the cradle upwards had been healthy, fair, plump, and dull-witted; in short, the flower of her family for beauty and amiability. But milk and mildness are not the best things for keeping, and when they turn only a little sour, they may disagree with young stomachs seriously. I have often wondered whether those early Madonnas of Raphael, with the blond faces and somewhat stupid expression, kept their placidity undisturbed when their strong-limbed, strong-willed boys got a little too old to do without clothing. I think they must have been given to feeble remonstrance, getting more and more peevish as it became more and more ineffectual.

annoyingly the last owner of this book felt the need to circle--in pen-- all the "hard words" such as "frivolous" and "erroneous". NEVER do this, no matter how good the idea seems at the time. you are NEVER really going to look up all those words. and every future owner of the book will HATE you. and it's just bad karma. i repeat, you are NEVER allowed to circle the "hard words," ok?

fun times.

ps: why can't i EVER remember if i'm allowed to let the commas in, or if they have to stay outside? bad commas!

7 Comments:

At Thursday, February 15, 2007, Blogger Erin said...

unless the phrase/statement that you are quoting CONTAINS a comma or period, it goes outside the quotes.

 
At Friday, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but all your experiences will help make you that great writer, or give you American experiences you can use to relate your European experience to the American readers of your photo-journal. "...the daily site of the midget in front of the store reminded me of the horse I trainted for weeks..." How they relate, I don't know. Guess that's for you and your experiences to figure out.

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007, Blogger clara said...

but what about quotes?

like, "I'm so tired," she said. or is it, "I'm so tired", she said.

sigh.

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007, Blogger Erin said...

In that case, it's in place of the period that ends her statement, because the sentence isn't over. I'm pretty sure that is correct to write "'I'm so tired!' she said." Like "'Do you think it will work?' he asked."
Confusing, I know. The REAL problem is that there is less and less emphasis on correcting grammar, especially in schools, which trickles into media and books, so people like us who really care get confused very easily.
Damn everyone else's incompetence spoiling my grammar-nazi chi!
(And pick yourself up a copy of The Elements of Style, aka Strunk and White. Fun read, and it'll clear it all up for you!)

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007, Blogger Erin said...

Oh, also, I am less than ten feet away from my OWN copy of Strunk and White, but am I too lazy to get up and look it up? Of course I am.

:P

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007, Blogger clara said...

my personal problem is that i finished a college-level grammer book in 6th grade, and consequently never had to study it again. good ol' homeschooling.

excuse #2: the more people study other languages, the worse their english gets. even my formerly spelling- and grammer-error-free mother started making terrible mistakes after a few years in central america.

yes, i've spent hours pouring over strunk and white--don loaned me his copy early in our fluttery days. it's great!

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007, Blogger ridley said...

Nope. I'm pretty sure the comma always goes inside the quotes, as does the period, even if it's not part of the quotation.

E.g.: The gentleman on the other side of the street asked me if I would like to "hit that shit."

I remember this because it's always seemed so damn counter-intuitive to me. The only exception is for semi-colons and question marks, which go outside the quotes unLESS they were part of the quoted phrase.

E.g:
John said, "What did you say?"
as opposed to:
Did he say "someone's to blame"?

Ah yes. The Chicago Manual of Style agrees with me. All hail the GRAMMAR NERRRDD!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home