Monday

poll of the day:

ok. so you all heard the pheasant story, right? if not, scroll down to a few days ago. part one: basically my folks aren't too keen on my driving. part two: we are probably going to trade my truck for our friends' truck in the next couple days.

ok, you know that feeling when you JUST HAFTA do something? well, on Christmas night i JUST HAD TO go muddin' and get my truck dirty one last time. so some of us piled into E's truck, and the rest of us climbed into mine. we cruised up a couple logging roads that all were dead ends before we found one with the gate open. then the good times started. as we headed in, i had very slight misgivings about the whole thing. "Ah, screw it.", i said to myself.

so we cruised and cruised, and succeeded in sufficiently dirtying the truck. then. then E decided to head up a 4-wheeler trail. i decided to follow him. my truck, however, is larger than his S-10, and FAR larger than a 4-wheeler. so we slid into a bit of a rut. no big deal, i just backed down. and slid. into a stump. the damage is minimal, but not really fixable. it's on the extended cab part of the truck, at the very bottom.

here's the actual poll: what do i do? my parents haven't noticed yet, thank god. so do i do the grown-up thing and just tell them? but they will freak out, probably call the insurance guy, which will raise my rates, ruin my perfect record, and very possibly total the truck. or do i just call the guy with whom we are trading vehicles? send him digital pics of the damage so he can decide? just pretend nothing ever happened...after all if my parents (who are anal about their vehicles) have gone two days without noticing, the damage isn't all that bad. and the guy wanted the truck even with a big dent on the other side (someone backed into ME, i wasn't even in the car), but i have since fixed that dent. SO maybe he'll just think that this dent is the same old one!

the good little catholic girl in me tells me to just announce my faults to the whole world. but i am also trying to avoid confrontation and stress. hmm. i want to look at all my options...fixing the problem on my own, with minimal spaz-time is optimal. so, what do you think? what is the preferred mode of action? is it ok to avoid the parental conflict/excitement? maybe i should just cruise down to some auto body place and see if there's anything they can do. argh.

12 Comments:

At Monday, December 27, 2004, Blogger Tward said...

Yikes, that is a dilemna. Well, I can say that when I was out on the beach, playing polo from the Quantum, and knocked the side of it really good with a golf-club, I did tell my parents. I was expecting the worst, but they were actually calm about it. For sure I would send pics to Mr. A and find out if this changes his mind, but if it isn't that noticeable (and the one in the side was very noticeable), I don't think it will change his mind. And yeah, I'd tell the parents too, you're old enough (well, at least in number of years ;) that they should be calm, but then there is the pheasent incedent, so on that one, it's your call. Sorry I'm not too much help, but that's my .02

 
At Monday, December 27, 2004, Blogger orm said...

I would definitely tell the guy you are trading vehicles with, send him pictures, etc. I wouldn't lie about it if your parents asked, but if I were in your situation I probably wouldn't announce it to them either.

 
At Monday, December 27, 2004, Blogger Maximilian said...

Ok, here's what you do. Flee to Canada, find the American Embassy, run there, and cry "Sanctuary!"
This tactic may also work with cathedrals in Europe, or the chapel at that school you're about to go to.

Basically, find a nice comfortable place to hide until your parents run themselves down plotting your death, then claim your inheritance and move to a small island in the gulf of mexico. Yes.

 
At Monday, December 27, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dents don't effect a trucks preformance and they make the truck have a more manly feel so your golden. Sell the mofo.

 
At Monday, December 27, 2004, Blogger Kitty said...

Okay, been there, done that! Tell your folks you were driving down a dirt road and got stuck in a rut and while backing out hit the stump. It's the truth, with only a few omissions and they should understand cuz it can happen to anybody. Send the guy a picture, probably won't make a difference and if it does, offer some money to your parents to help pay for the damage. Don't call the insurance cuz it will probably be less than the deductible and make your insurance go up.
Always better to tell the truth even if you leave out a few details. You can tell the the WHOLE story when you're old and gray like me. Good luck! Kitty

 
At Tuesday, December 28, 2004, Blogger ridley said...

Me three on the "creative presentation" method. It's not lying, it's just showing how the facts are actually on your side. I was raised by lawyers, girl--I've seen this principle at work.

Merry Christmas (belated), and here's hoping the New Year is maybe a tad less "exciting" than the old one.

Hey, don't your parents read your blog sometimes?

 
At Tuesday, December 28, 2004, Blogger SomethingInMyEye said...

I say let it be. Or try Pops-a-dent, which is cheaper than taking it to a shop.

 
At Tuesday, December 28, 2004, Blogger Prophet said...

so question: do your parents know you went mudding? did they see the truck all muddy?

 
At Wednesday, December 29, 2004, Blogger LMO said...

If you really cant see it, then i don't worry about it. The guy who is getting the truck had no problem with the dent the first time, though you could just check to see how much it would cost to have it fixed. I bet that this guy isn't going to care at all. The only problem with the idea of "just tell how the car was hurt, not where and why it happened" is that, if your parents are anything like mine, you are likely to immediatly be questioned with "wait, where did this happen?" and "What were you doing there?" I am all for honesty and telling the truth, but you can see the damages for yourself. If the truck is not at all affected in terms of how well it runs, and especially if the dent is barely noticable, then I really wouldn't fret over it. You're not cheating anybody out of anything.

 
At Saturday, January 01, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

SUMMON THE CHIMPOKEMON!

Or, yeah, give them the edited version. Mom, Dad, this statement has been modified to fit your freakout levels... Its not that big of a dent.

 
At Sunday, January 02, 2005, Blogger Maximilian said...

would you post some new posts damnit? Did your parents kill you or something for the truck?

sheesh, you know. you're breakin mah balls hiah

 
At Monday, January 03, 2005, Blogger Tward said...

Yah, we're all waiting here!!! Course, I can say that Clara's parents did not kill her, and that she made the transit to 'that anonymous college', starting at 4am Jan 1st. But other than that, I'm sittin here waiting to hear anything... Hurry up and keep us in the loop!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home