Monday

my second first day of class

as y'all have probably heard, my first first day of class started out with a knock on the door, and "Um, excuse me but all your boxes are getting wet!". more well-dressed, well-prepared girls kept opening their doors, expecting to step out into the hallway, walk out of the dorm, and go to their first classes. all of the above were self-evidently impossible.

i used to go down to the Columbia River every sunday after mass. i would sit awestruck on the dock, marveling at the silent power of the current. i thought there was nothing like it in the world. until my first first day of class. what i now call the Therese River was flowing in an east-west direction, in the back door and out the front, with side channels into each of the rooms. exciting times. the river soon covered the outlets on the floor of the commons, so i dashed madly off to find the circuit breaker with images of my fellow dormmates (most of whom were splashing around the dorm wakening the remaining Theresiennes) being electrocuted mid-frolic.

but today we had class. thus, my second first day of class. i always wondering what accident victims felt like, what it would be like to be in shock. a state of shock. now i know. i stood in the hallway before class with Donzilla and klaske, watching the world go by and saying, "maybe we're just all dreaming the same dream." i'm still not sure. i'll get back to you on that. class was even weirder. miss Z was tutor, so i had vague memories of freshman seminar...but what were we doing in room 8? klaske was there...but we are in class, not at the Pit! i know most of the people in my section...but what am i doing with the freshman? of course they are now juniors, but but but. weird.

shock. how does one break out of it?

5 Comments:

At Monday, January 17, 2005, Blogger Sephora said...

Yay--I thought the only class I knew there were seniors now! According to my calculations, I know a good percentage of the junior class. Good luck and enjoy getting acquainted with a broader span of the TAC timeline! :)

 
At Tuesday, January 18, 2005, Blogger Tward said...

Unrelated to you post, but cause I am starting my new job tomorrow (part-timing on both jobs) I no longer get the same benefits, so I had to use my vacation days for dentist visits... GRRRR!!! This company can suck at times. So that means in all likelyhood I won't be able to come visit. And I'm not going to have any vacation time for who knows how long now. Argh, pisses me off... Oh well, not much I can do...

 
At Tuesday, January 18, 2005, Blogger clara said...

hey that's cool. cuz that's what real friends do: they DITCH each other! lol, do what you gotta do, tay-tay.

 
At Tuesday, January 18, 2005, Blogger Nevermore said...

Baby steps Clara, baby steps. That and the occasional freak-out session up in the hills where no one can see. They may hear it, but fuck 'em, it'll give them something to think about.

 
At Thursday, January 20, 2005, Blogger Dz said...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6185_treat-shock-during.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home